Saturday, July 25, 2009

Castillo de San Marcos, St. Augustine, FL - June 2009









I took these a while back on a trip to St. Augustine. The Castillo de San Marcos was a fort built during the Spanish control of the region in the 1600s. Little piece of history for ya' there…

I visit St. Augustine a lot, since my sister lives there and my family has a vacation home there, but I have just now gotten around to taking some photos. "Old Town," or the tourist section of the city with all the historic buildings, has some really beautiful and interesting architecture, but I always forget to bring my camera. Anyway, I have some more of these Castillo shots, but these are the ones I liked best. Most weren't cropped well because I had to have the film sent out to be processed, but the negatives look much better than the prints.

The photos were taken throughout the fort, from the cannons on the roof to the chapel to the military barracks. You can't see it in most of these indoor shots, but the creepiest thing about the building are the carvings made by soldiers (and prisioners) in the walls, some practicing their English alphabet, and some writing names or messages, most of which are illegible, unless you speak 17th century Spanish.

Too bad there aren't an ghosts in these pictures :(

No comments: